Operation for phimosis
What is phimosis?
Phimosis is a narrowing of the foreskin accompanied by inflammatory processes.
There are 4 stages of phimosis:
- There is redness, small scars, a slight feeling of squeezing the head. There is already inflammation, but it is small. At the same time, the head opens easily. Often, men with the 1st stage feel discomfort and do not consult a doctor.
- The same symptoms as in the 1st stage, but more pronounced. The head opens with difficulty.
- The head can still be opened somehow, but it is very difficult to close it back. The pressure is quite strong, the discomfort is almost constant. Urination is difficult.
- The head does not open at all. Urination becomes a real problem. Strong compression, pain are present.
Phimosis can be congenital or acquired.
Usually, congenital phimosis (it is also called physiological) goes away on its own, closer to 6 years.
If this does not happen, you should consult a urologist.
Acquired phimosis can appear at any age.
What are the causes of phimosis?
- This disorder occurs in young people, during puberty. And over time it passes on its own.
- Inflammation of the foreskin (balanoposthitis) is the second most common. Phimosis occurs as a result of inflammatory processes.
- Presence of diabetes. With diabetes, the protective functions of the body are disturbed, and the mucous membranes, where, as a rule, there are many bacteria, create optimal conditions for their active and uncontrolled reproduction. Therefore, people with diabetes often suffer from inflammation of the eyes, stomatitis, and men - from phimosis.
Is phimosis a "popular" disease in Ukraine?
According to statistics, phimosis affects about 3% of the male population in adulthood. This is in our country where there is no traditional or religious circumcision and most men were not circumcised. A man who has circumcised the foreskin (which is also called "phimosis surgery") cannot get it in principle, since the foreskin itself, which narrows, is absent.
Why does phimosis bother men so much?
To answer the question, it is enough to simply review the list of troubles that phimosis entails...
- discomfort, feeling of tension during sexual contact, during erection;
- maceration (wetting) appears, which causes burning and increased discomfort during erection;
- a feeling of constant pressure on the head of the penis;
- inability to expose the head of the penis (stages 3 and 4), difficult urination, pain.
|Do you suspect phimosis?|
Do not delay - make an appointment with a urologist:
What is the danger if the problem is not solved?
All in all, phimosis, - you think... It seems that this is such a minor disease. But it leads to chronic kidney failure, and - death.
How is kidney failure related to phimosis?
If phimosis is not treated, it develops to the 4th stage. At this stage, during urination, urine first enters the foreskin (foreskin), which directly affects the pressure by which the stream of urine is pushed out. The detrusor (muscular membrane of the bladder), which is responsible for the excretion of urine by squeezing it, cannot perform its function normally. At the moment when he contracts the muscles of the bladder, the barrier is felt. Urine is thrown into the ureters (urine reflux occurs), and as a result, through the ureters — back to the kidneys. Because the pressure in the kidneys is lower than in the bladder.
As a result of reflux (which occurs almost every time you urinate), inflammation of the kidneys occurs. Against the background of inflammation, chronic kidney failure and secondary shrinkage of the kidneys develop. As you can see, the consequences of not treating phimosis are very serious. And eliminating them is much more difficult than curing the primary disease.
In most cases, fortunately, people come forward before the situation gets too far. And although the complaint and the reason for contacting a urologist are, as a rule, complaints about obstacles in sexual life and discomfort, in fact, in this way, the patient protects himself from much more serious and painful problems in the future.
Other symptoms that make you consult a urologist and treat phimosis:
- aesthetics, cosmetic correction of the genital organ (surgery for phimosis gives a more attractive appearance);
- inflammation accompanied by an increase in temperature.
What are the methods of treatment of phimosis?
Treatment of any disease basically consists of two parts:
- relieve the patient of symptoms;
- eliminate the root cause, and accordingly the disease itself.
Phimosis is not an exception.
In the initial stages (1, 2), the treatment of phimosis begins with medication. If it does not help, or the patient wants to solve the issue "once and for all", then the optimal and safe method, which has no disadvantages, is the circumcision of the foreskin (circumcision), which is also an operation for phimosis.
Phimosis surgery, as the only truly effective method, is also prescribed for the 3rd and 4th stages of the disease, when other treatment options either no longer give results, or the patient does not have time to wait for results from more conservative measures.
Nevertheless, before the operation, we prescribe local therapy: in the form of rinses with antiseptic solutions or ointments. It stops inflammatory processes, reduces pain, soothes the skin. The patient feels better.
Why circumcision of the foreskin (surgery for phimosis) is one of the best methods of combating the disease?
Circumcision is the excision of the foreskin. During the procedure, a part of the foreskin (flap), which creates a phimosis ring (clamping of the head), is removed, and the leaves are sewn up. In this way, the very possibility of phimosis (clamping of the head of the penis) is eliminated. This is a more radical, but the most effective solution to the problem.
The method is one of the best also because circumcision of the foreskin has no negative consequences.
Cons of the operation: none.
- solving the issue of phimosis and possible inflammations;
- the duration of sexual intercourse increases (since the head of the penis becomes less sensitive, but the whole range of sensations is preserved. It's just that the pleasure lasts longer :) );
- appearance improves (many women are "for" circumcision);
- circumcision is a prevention of male and female genital oncology;
- hygiene is simplified.
Circumcision of the foreskin: how to achieve an aesthetic appearance after the procedure.
Circumcision of the foreskin (circumcision) is most
often performed with phimosis.
Circumcision of the foreskin
After surgery for phimosis, relapse occurs in very rare cases. This can happen if mistakes were done in the operation: the procedure was done incorrectly by the doctor, or the patient did not follow the recommendations and improperly cared for the postoperative suture.
At the 4th stage of phimosis, circumcision is an absolute indication. Surgery is such a method of treatment, which in some cases is irreplaceable. In particular, where there is a violation of anatomy, there are no other methods of treatment (more precisely, other methods will not give a positive result).
Author of the article:
urologist, andrologist, doctor of the highest category
about the doctor: https://urology-practice.com.ua/en/urologist_-andrologist-leonid-maksimenko.html